Churches and more churches

Today is churches.  If you don't like churches, please skip today and join again tomorrow.  I am on my way back to Reykjavik to get my mandatory COVID test which the USA requires for admission.  Yes, even of vaccinated citizens.  It is not science.  It is politics.  It is a three hour drive so I have planned a couple of church photo stops to break up my drive.

This is Oddakirkja which I think is the prettiest church today.  I am putting it first because I have noticed that Google features the very first photo in the blog entry.  Oddakirkja is located in Odda.  Odda is several kilometers off of the main highway.  You have to know about Odda to get here.  As far as I can tell, it is the only thing in Odda.  It is well preserved.  They have a large parking lot.  And most importantly for me, they have a WC.






A rustic outbuilding at the church.

Lambs.  Cute little lambs.  I have been seeing young lambs with their parents throughout the week.  They are so cute.  And they are very shy.  I have tried numerous time to photograph them but they run for protection at the slightest provocation.  Pointing a telephoto lens at them is such provocation.  Some are white.  Some are black.  Some are white with a black parent.  Some are black with a white parent.  I got these today.  And this is how far they stray from their parent when I am near.



The next church is really hard to find.  It is 11 Km off of the highway and is surrounded by working farms.  Nothing else.  This is the Pykkvabaejarklaustur Monastery founded in 1168.  Try saying that back.



The graves are raised here as well.


The great Eldgja eruption of 934 produced a lava flow of 800 square Km.  It also produced these unique lava cones.


Passing back through Vik I couldn't resist getting another view of Vik I Myrdal.  I couldn't get this shot a couple of days ago because of parked cars marring the view.


I spotted Hraungerdiskirkja from the highway and had to stop.  The church was locked.  As I was finishing my outside shots, a car drove up, a woman got out and unlocked the outer doors and prepared to leave.  I politely asked if I could take an inside shot and she consented and let me in.






I finally arrive at the COVID testing facility in Reykjavik.  There is one COVID testing facility in Iceland.  One.  This is it.


They are amazingly efficient.  The (free) parking area feels like a grand prix pit stop area with how fast people were arriving and departing.  The wait was less than three minutes.  The test is not pleasant.  You get a nasal swab stuck up your nose until it hits the back of your skull, or so it seems.  But it is quick.

Goodnight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seljalandsfoss, Skógafoss, Dyrholaey, Arnardrangur, Reynisfjara, Vik I Myrdahl

Reykjavik, a photography walk

Iceland Here I am