Reykjavik, a photography walk

I'm out for a walk around Reykjavik on this, my penultimate day in Iceland.  Perhaps to make up for Iceland's long and dark winters, houses of Reykjavik are painted lively colors.  It is not Nyhavn but it is very pretty.


 I pass a children's playground which I also find colorful and pretty.

I have noticed that Icelandic houses usually have absolutely no landscaping.  Not much grows in this latitude.  This house in Reykjavik is an exception.

Reykjavik has a park with a lake, also with landscaping.

The park has sculptures


I guessed that this one was called "blockhead".  I was wrong.  It is called "unknown bureaucrat".

I'm thinking that this is either Lancelot or Elaine (you have to be from Iowa State).

Reykjavik City Hall has been built out into the lake which was controversial at the time.



After a break at Te & Kaffi, the Icelandic version of Starbucks, ...


I am off to the National Museum of Iceland ...



which has many exhibits on the history of Icelandic life ...



and also has a place for playing chess if you tire of the exhibits.

The Settlement Museum is built around the foundation of a 10th century hall and has walls dating from 871 plus or minus two years.


HARPA Reykjavik Concert Hall, located on the waterfront, is an iconic building even from the outside.



The Solfar, the "sun voyager", was sculpted by Jon Gunnar Arneson.  It is a common misconception that the sculpture represents a Viking ship.

I have been trying all week to get a photo of an Icelandic horse.  Finally, I got one this morning in the lobby of my hotel.

Is anyone else a fan of circular staircases?  This is in the Hilton Reykjavik Nordica.

We couldn't have one day in Iceland without a church and today is no exception.  

Frikirkjan is a Lutheran church consecrated in 1903.

The Reykjavik Cathedral dates from 1796.  Not every photographer gets this shot with a blue construction lift sitting in front of it.

Hallgrimskirkja, which stands guard over Reykjavik, is both a Lutheran-Evangelical parish church and a national sanctuary.  It is the tallest structure in Reykjavik. 






It has an amazing (looking) organ.


The view from the tower is amazing.


And, BTW, the result of my COVID test yesterday was negative.  I can come home tomorrow.


Comments

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed sharing in your trip. I know Iceland a bit better. Loved the pictures. Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed sharing in your trip. I know Iceland a bit better. Loved the pictures. Steve

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Seljalandsfoss, Skógafoss, Dyrholaey, Arnardrangur, Reynisfjara, Vik I Myrdahl

Iceland Here I am