Iceland Here I am

It is not necessarily easy traveling this close to the pandemic edge.  I jumped at the chance to book this trip in mid-March when Iceland announced it was re-opening to vaccinated Americans without quarantine.  I had a difficult time booking and keeping hotel reservations as hotels kept closing.  I didn't understand why until yesterday when I discovered that after Iceland re-opened, they quickly closed again, then re-opened in April and the rules are still changing.  It was like playing whack-a-mole to find an open hotel.  But I am ecstatic about being able to be here.  Today's blog is more about traveling and less about Icelandic photos.  They will come.  Be patient.

Delta has one flight a day to Reykjavik and it is from JFK.  Delta has only one flight a day from MSP to JFK to make the connection and that flight leaves MSP in mid-morning.  So I am off early Tuesday morning when my driver arrives.

I find myself elated as I walk into the SkyClub at MSP.  I have never been so happy to be in an airport.  But I have an 8 hour, 45 minute layover in JFK.  Ugh.  That gives me plenty of time to have a celebratory sparkling wine in the SkyClub at JFK and to admire the airplane view and jet fuel smell from the sky deck.
Late Tuesday evening, I am off for Reykjavik.
I am a sucker for sunrise over the Atlantic photo ... every single time.
I have a full day of photo shots planned before going to the hotel.  However, the rules changed.  Now everyone, even those vaccinated, must have a COVID test upon arrival and immediately quarantine until a negative test result is returned.  Ugh.  But, by quarantine they mean that you are free to go with your rental car but must go "directly" to your hotel.  I got lost on the way and happened on the Gardur old lighthouse at the far northwest tip of the Reykjanes peninsula.
Trying to find my way back to the road to my hotel I come across the beautiful Hvalsneskirkja, a small stone church completed in 1887.
Now I'm starting to get nervous about my expected arrival at the hotel.  And, of course, a bathroom stop is beckoning me.  Upon arrival at KEF airport we weren't even allowed a bathroom stop.  Go. To. Your. Hotel.  So here I am in my hotel in Reykjavik awaiting my negative test result to allow me to break out of quarantine.  Until then I must be in my room (where I have a bathroom!) but without food.  I planned ahead for this eventuality and brought a supply of energy bars with me for survival.
My room does have a balcony so I am able to present you views of Reykjavik such as Mount Esja across the bay ...
the famous Hallgrimskirkja, the highest building in Reykjavik ...
and a view down Laugavegur, the most famous shopping street in Reykjavik.
The rain has stopped, the sky has brightened and my test result should be coming soon.  Hopefully, better photos tomorrow.  Stay with me.








Comments

  1. Already some amazing views and shots. I love that one of the arch with the church. Can't wait to keep following along!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Seljalandsfoss, Skógafoss, Dyrholaey, Arnardrangur, Reynisfjara, Vik I Myrdahl

Reykjavik, a photography walk