It has been a big day. Lots of driving and lots of stops. A couple of waterfalls both very different from the earlier waterfalls. Churches and more churches. I hope that you don't get tired of churches. And the black sand of the southern coast. As I'm driving to our first waterfall, I spot a church out in the country. I stop. It is Braeoratungukirkja. Seljalandsfoss is a really cool waterfall. It is a 220 foot monster. As you get closer it is even more impressive. But the really cool thing is that you can walk behind the waterfall. The spray from the waterfall is impressive. You will get soaked. Guide books warn about ruining camera equipment. So the Nikon goes back into the car and I don full rain gear. There is no way that I'm not doing this. You may laugh but my iPhone 12 Pro is submersible for 30 minutes and it has wide angle. This is what it looks like. Skógafoss is 200 feet high and 80 ...
Just moments after pressing the "publish" button to yesterday's blog, I received notification that my arrival COVID test was negative and I was released from quarantine. My plan had been to spend most of the day photographing and arrive at my hotel in late afternoon. Alas, I had skipped most of my list in order to quarantine. Now it was 4pm and I thought about sitting around JFK the night before. It was a time to do something. My favorite of the day that had been skipped was a church along the southern coast, about an hour from Reykjavik. So I headed out in rush hour traffic. Strandarkirkja (Lutheran) is known as the miracle church dating from the 12th century. It was founded after sailors in peril prayed for salvation and landed at Angel's Bay. To this day it is a haven for maritime prayers. Up today and number one on my list for the entire trip is Thingvellir National Park where the first assembly in Iceland was held in 930. ...
Today is a little different. I have been showing you churches and waterfalls. Today is a little waterfall and a little church. But today is really about glaciers and icebergs. First, we have to do a waterfall. I do not know the name. I saw it from the road and stopped. Sorry that I can't get closer. The walking path from the parking area is closed. So we will make do with these telephotos. You have your choice between the 1/50 second exposure time and the 10 second exposure time. Which do you like better? From my hotel in Kirkjubaejarklaustur, today we go an hour and a half farther east and away from Reykjavik in search of ice. This is Iceland, right? One of my checkmarks for this trip is to visit the iceberg lagoon at Jokulsarlon. A foot of Iceland's largest glacier ends in a very deep lagoon. Ice calving from the glacier populate this lagoon before traveling through a very short river to the ocean. He...
Comments
Post a Comment