Wednesday, April 24, 2019: Tate Modern, Borough Market

Yes, I promised you five plays in five days and we will get there.  But today in mid-week we take a break from theatre.  We thought we would sleep late again, which we did, see a couple of attractions and save the evening for a nice meal at a great restaurant.  The day was mostly successful.

I have wanted to see the Tate Modern Museum and today is the day.
This is a photo of the main central hall.  Towers on either side of this central hall house the collection.  The museum building used to be a power generating station and in this hall were the generating turbines.  Interesting to me is when I move around and photograph I like to have location information so that I know where I was when a particular photo was taken.  Unfortunately, my cameras don't have GPS.  So I also take a photo with my iPhone, which does have GPS, for the location information.  I did that here.  Upon reviewing the photos, I decided that I liked the iPhone photo better than regular photos taken at this same location.
Modern art is not my favorite thing but I do find it interesting.  Can you see the snail by Henri Matisse?
The Degas ballerinas are always nice.
Rene Magritte, The Annunciation.
And, of course, here are a couple of Picassos ... Bust of a Woman
and The Three Dancers.
Walking around London this week I have been surprised by how many signs there are providing the locations of toilets.  Finally, I realized that the signs are actually for space to rent, hence TO LET.  My mind filled in the presumably missing "I".  It is a good thing that I noticed before I did something inappropriate.
We then head over to Borough Market
with the Shard in the background.
Before perusing the market, we stop for lunch at the very nice Roast Restaurant in the market.
I know that some of you may be disappointed by the lack of food pictures.  The food wasn't bad but it wasn't that great either.

I enjoyed taking in the many shapes and colors of items offered in the market.  For the record, each vendor was asked for the taking of the photograph and consented.
I was surprised by the offering of hot mulled wine (which I know as Gluwien) which we had loved during a previous trip doing Christmas markets in December.  Alas, today they are all sold out.
A wise adage adorns one of the stalls.
A main event of the day was the good meal at a special restaurant.  We picked Rules Restaurant, allegedly the oldest restaurant in London and widely acclaimed.  It is difficult to obtain a reservation and, once obtained, you had better keep the reservation otherwise your credit card will be charged for your would-be-meal anyway.  Unfortunately, the experience was a near complete bust.  The menu had, perhaps, a dozen entrees.  They were out of both of the two items that we had selected.  We made our second choices.  The food was not good.  Hence, there are no food pictures.  A word to the wise.
Having taken a day off, we are behind on theatre.  I will make it up to you tomorrow. I promise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seljalandsfoss, Skógafoss, Dyrholaey, Arnardrangur, Reynisfjara, Vik I Myrdahl

Reykjavik, a photography walk

Iceland Here I am